• We've disabled all private messages. Please use the forums, thanks.

24-70 F2.8 or 24-105 F4 IS

amnesia77

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are between the 24-70 F2.8/L vs the 24-105 F4 IS. I already own the 70-200 F4/IS, so my initial thoughts were to get the 24-70 F2.8. This is being paired with the T2I (crop sensor).

Thanks in advance!

in your case get 24-70 since u have the F4 already
eventually u will get the other ones as u move on towards the 7D or the 5D's

i currently have the 70-200 f/2.8II with my XSi and my next step is the SX30, 24-105, 5DIII, 60D or higher

just a note! there will be a replacement for this lens either be announced before the end of the year, OR just before WPPI which starts February 17, 2011; so expect a price drop if you get the 24-70

Completely agree with noasian. There's no reason to get the 24-105 since you already have most of the range covered from by the 70-200. Sacrifice the extra range for the faster glass.

Thanks for all the opinions. Like you guys, I was also leaning towards the 24-70, but my main issue with it is the lack of IS. I have heard rumors over the last year about a new 24-70, how it "might" have IS, or how the images will be nicer. Either way, it's been a rumor for the last year (or 2), and when it does come out, I would think it would be $$$$.

Given the history of existing lens, I haven't really seen older lens decrease in value when a new one comes out (ie the 70-200 have retained its value even though Canon has release newer version like the IS2). It seems like the trend is that they make the new glass more expensive. But hey, that might just be my perception.

see, IS is bad because people all rely on it now, think back with film, IS doesn't even exist and great pictures still lives...like back then with film, people do try to take the good photos as the film cost a lot, whereas now the memory cards are so cheap that ppl randomly take pix and if they aren't good, erase =O

no the MK1 of 70-200 was on sale from a number of places in the East side, but of course the MSRP or the prices from retail shops will be much the same...

You're definitely right. IS is bad, and with the digital age, erasing is an option, but I would hate to ruin a great shot due to shaky hands.

The only time I've ever seen it cheap is during the Canon instant rebate time. I'm hoping it's coming soon so that I can see what the rebate is on the 24-70.

You're definitely right. IS is bad, and with the digital age, erasing is an option, but I would hate to ruin a great shot due to shaky hands.

The only time I've ever seen it cheap is during the Canon instant rebate time. I'm hoping it's coming soon so that I can see what the rebate is on the 24-70.

the Canadian rebate ended on Sep 30, 2010, there is the US rebate right now
check it out on photoprice.ca

I definitely recommend the 24-70! It's a great lens plus with f/2.8 you don't really need IS.

Also to note, IS is necessary when you have a long focal length lens such as the 70-200. Anything above 85mm definitely needs IS. Here's a rule of thumb (although rules are meant to be broken)...for every focal length you use, that should be your minimum shutter speed allowed. For example, shooting at 60mm, your most comfortable hand held shutter speed should be at least 1/60. Anything slower than 1/60 would cause some blur.

It's just a rule of thumb and to be used as a guideline.

i would recommend the 240-70 too BUT the version II thou :D

Back