• Due to a certain user cat fishing the site, we've disabled all private messages. Please use the forums, thanks.
  • Search Function Works Now =)

British Girl Has Surgery On Tongue To Speak Better Korean

ralphrepo

This is what I call dedication:

British student has tongue lengthened to speak Korean
A student is so obsessed with Korean culture that she has had her tongue surgically lengthened to help her speak the language.

Student Rhiannon Brooksbank-Jones who is so obsessed with Korean culture that she has had her tonge surgically lengthened to help her speak the language
Photo: PAUL TONGE
9:51AM BST 11 Aug 2011

Rhiannon Brooksbank–Jones, 19, plans to take Korean Studies at university and dreams of living in the country, even though she has never visited it. While taking language lessons, she struggled to pronounce certain sounds in Korean. It was blamed on Rhiannon, of Beeston, Notts, having a slightly shorter than average tongue, caused by an unusually thick lingual frenulum – the flap of skin that joins the underside of the tongue to the floor of the mouth. Her parents agreed to her having a lingual frenectomy, a 15–minute operation under local anaesthetic that involved an incision in the flap of skin. Rhiannon admitted that it was "agony at first" but her tongue is now about 1cm longer and she can say words that were impossible before. "I'd been learning Korean for about two years, and my speaking level was high, but I was really struggling with particular sounds," she said. "It became apparent after a little while that I was having trouble with the Korean letter 'L', which is very frequent and comes from a slightly higher place in the mouth than the English 'L', and that my tongue was too short.

"The surgical procedure was my only option. My pronunciation was very 'foreign', but now I can speak with a native Korean accent." Rhiannon's mother, Fiona, 56, said she supported her daughter's decision. "I've heard of people having the condition corrected as babies, but never later in life. But we looked into it, and have backed her all the way. When she sets her mind to something, she usually goes for it wholeheartedly," she said

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...nt-has-tongue-lengthened-to-speak-Korean.html

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ones-tongue-lengthened-help-speak-Korean.html
[video=youtube;9E6op0SD2YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E6op0SD2YY[/video]

[N]

RATED [ ]
next up kdot and kt on the news! :facepalm: wait add pok guy:facepalm: and fah to that list!!! :trollface2:

they cut it a little bit. that's all. I got mine cut too because of my slight lisp when I was little. dude its not a big deal.

dedication yes, out of this world no.

kdotc

안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다
ya, this is a common procedure for those who don't want to speak korean also

and Nas got something chopped(hint: something guys have and girls don't) off that's why he acts the way he does lol

[N]

RATED [ ]
ya, this is a common procedure for those who don't want to speak korean also

and Nas got something chopped(hint: something guys have and girls don't) off that's why he acts the way he does lol
someone talking from experience? :trollface2:

her tongue does look unnatural though...but not even close to gene simmons ish!

ralphrepo

The article was perhaps a bit on the sensationalist side IMHO. The surgery is indeed a minor procedure. But honestly, I think her spoken Korean already sounds convincing enough; the "need" for surgery was frivolous.

IMHO, aside from extended "L" sounds, she's eventually going to wind up wrapping her fat tongue around some big piece of Kimchee; methinks she got a bad case of the Yellow Fever, LOL...

Espresso

study linguistics and pair that w/ evolution. then you'll realize and find reasons for accents, and annunciation. i would say it is rather extreme.

insecurities probably beset everything. be who you are. and be yourself well. stop trying to be someone else. if u have an accent, so be it. u shouldn't risk surgery..

bbgirlsum

From what intraland had shown with snipping that thing.under the tongue it does allow lengthing the tongue. However I'm not too sure whether it would improve the skill of speaking a new language as my boyfriend has shown tjat he couldn't although he has a very short tongue.
Espresso is right about insecurities as (for example) my bf wants that bit snipped simply to just lengethen and another reason which should be kept private.

Anyways back to OP. I think lengthening a tongue to speak a language is a bit too extreme and an excuse just to snip that part of your tongue. I personally think language along with its accent comes in time especially if you have migrated to a different country. Its pretty difficult to become fluent to that language unless you were brought up with it or have stayed in the country of that language for at least a good couple of months