1. Due to a certain user cat fishing the site, we've disabled all private messages. Please use the forums, thanks.

Do you believe in Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by CrazyMoFo, Jun 25, 2012.

1. CrazyMoFo

CrazyMoFo Member

Watch this video and share your thoughts. IMHO, you have one life and is the only one you have, enjoy it to the fullest, cherish the things around you and learn all you can learn in this short life you have. Do what you can to impact those around you in a good way, so your life will live through their memories forever! When I die, I want my children, family and friends to remember me for what I am. If my children can say my dad was an honorable and respected man and they can look up to me, then I've done my job in this life!

2. Dan

Dan Wtf are you doi-....

Interesting video.

One of the main arguments I got from the video is this: an afterlife diminishes the value of life.

This is the main point I'd like to discuss about. In order to support this thesis, the video makes a few points:

1) The afterlife in question refers to the Christian afterlife, Heaven, Hell and Judgement. It did not address other religious afterlife, and other religious afterlives are completely different.
    2) After we die, we will not know the truth of death.
    3) We are insignificant in the universe.

There are more points, but these are the points I'd like to focus on. Before continuing, I would like to firstly say that I completely agree that, in our present life, we should do everything in our power to be productive, helpful and a contributing member of our society. I would also like to start off stating that I do not confirm nor deny the existence of any sort of afterlife (i.e. Agnostic mindset).

Regarding point number one, if this video is solely targeting the Christian definition of the afterlife, then I wholeheartedly agree. People are afraid of what happens after death. This is why there is a need for the idea of Heaven and Hell, in order to appease this fear. When I was in Turkey, we visited the City of Constantinople, one of the main cities during the Crusades. Apparently, the idea of Heaven/Hell was introduced as soldiers feared death. Heaven/Hell was designed to motivate soldiers. I can't find sources, as this was explained to me during my visit there. In fact, Christianity believed in the idea of reincarnation, similar to Hinduism and Buddhism (We'll come back to the topic of reincarnation in a bit). And to the majority of Christians today, this would be a blasphemous claim.

To address other definitions of the afterlife, say reincarnation, let's make sure we're on the same page, regarding the definition of reincarnation. Reincarnation in my opinion, refers to the idea that there is a "dimension" out there where our spirit/soul lives when on incarnated on Earth. Our lives on Earth are essentially classes. We are reincarnated on Earth in order to learn certain lessons. When we die, our spirit/soul leaves to rejoin that other dimension. It's much more complex than that, but that's the shortest I can define it.

There's one point I'd like to outline: 3) We are insignificant in the universe. This also implies that our scientific understanding of the universe is also insignificant. I ask the following question: If we are so insignificant in the universe, and our understanding of the universe is also insignificant, how can we absolutely confirm or deny the existence of something, say, an afterlife? The video makes the claim: 2) After we die, we will not know the truth of death or what's after death. This implies that even during life, we never knew the truth of death, or what's after death. Since the video makes the claim that "we do not know what's after death", how can one state for absoluteness that there is nothing after death? The video says we don't know!

TL;DR: My argument is this: If we don't know what's after death, then why do we say that nothing is after death? Not knowing is not the same as nothing.

Anyway, on a different note: I must say I dislike the way this video was narrated. They speak as if they know more than other people, and say, there's nothing to worry about. They speak as if they truly know what happens at death (i.e. there is no afterlife). But the argument has been said that if we don't know what happens at death, then no one on this earth truly knows what happens at death.

This argument implies the conclusion that we can neither confirm NOR deny the existence of something beyond death.

HOWEVER whatever is beyond death DOES NOT include the Christian definition of the afterlife (Heaven/Hell), because it has been confirmed by historians that this idea was introduced by the Pope at the time, in order to appease the Crusade soldiers of the fear of death.