• Due to a certain user cat fishing the site, we've disabled all private messages. Please use the forums, thanks.
  • Search Function Works Now =)

The TVPad Knowledge Center

I've been wanting to buy a tvpad after hearing about it online, but I was wondering if it is possible to record the shows especially on tv for the shows playing on tvpad when I'm not there to watch it?

Man, I finally got my TVPad today!!! Wooohoooo!!! I'm quite happy with the results so far. I did have similar functionality in the past through my HTPC in combination with the SopCast links, so it was not too much of a wow factor for me though. Nonetheless it does what it's supposed to do quite well. Furthermore there are a few redundancies for a lot of the channels.

Now if someone can create a nice English guide on how to use that VOD thingie then I'm really happy. I did some random clicks and unlike the person in the Youtube videos my streams start like after 15 seconds or so. So it's not too bad. The only problem for me is that I have no clue what I am clicking on without my lovely Google Translate :) Like where can I find the HD movies or even TVB dramas ?

Oh, and while I was busy at it I managed to find the direct links of 2 channels that I used as my test subjects, but I won't be sharing them (at least not now) since I do not want to upset people ... like "Normal" :) So DO NOT send me a private message asking me to share. Anyway, it's still a work in progress.

Is the TVPad hackable?
In what way ?

DVR (timeshift playback solutions) ...
Thanks for the update. I might go with an Hauppauge tv/video capture card depending on the results of my project above.

I just got my TVpad today, overall it's a great product, easy to use. However, for the Video On Demand (M icon) I am experiencing problem with the tvb series where it's downloading at 2kb which pretty much rendered it useless? Is anyone else having problem with the VOD? My internet connection is good, I am able to view live streaming and it's downloading at 600kb to 1mb but for some reason, only the VOD is downloading at 2kb? Maybe it's down or it is being overloaded? Anyone have any experience with the VOD, does it run well and this is just a fluke or is this to be expected?
For the random links that I have tried which included one drama episode and a few old movies, I had no problems at all. I recall reading about something similar on the TVPad forum and some people had to provide their IP address in order for them to enable access to VOD ... unless I misunderstood the translation.

I've been wanting to buy a tvpad after hearing about it online, but I was wondering if it is possible to record the shows especially on tv for the shows playing on tvpad when I'm not there to watch it?
The TVPad itself does not contain a recording feature, so you will have to use some sort of external device to record. See "phead128"'s comment above for an idea.

valueair

For the random links that I have tried which included one drama episode and a few old movies, I had no problems at all. I recall reading about something similar on the TVPad forum and some people had to provide their IP address in order for them to enable access to VOD ... unless I misunderstood the translation.
Yes, it was mentioned in the TVPad forum.... for people who have problems with VOD, to provide them with their IP address and MAC address.
They will test it from their end.

stsang75

@stsang75, here are the threads (use Google Translate if you cannot read Chinese):
http://www.tvpadfans.com/thread-10681-1-1.html
http://www.tvpadfans.com/thread-8349-1-1.html

EDIT: Here is a different thread mainly in English ... http://www.tvpadfans.com/thread-8082-1-1.html
The problem with the Movie app is that it will work for an hour and after that it will not work anymore. I was only able to test mine in the afternoon and both time it stopped working around 4:00 CST. Are you able to consistency use the Movie app without incident? Were you able to use it for more than 1 hour? Anyway, I sent them my IP and MAC address, let see if this will resolve the issue. Thanks for your help.

Are you able to consistency use the Movie app without incident?
Uhhhh no, because I have no clue how to navigate that thing -huh So I just tested it for like half an hour yesterday.

I find it confusing for someone who cannot read Chinese. You run the app and you can select the category (I guess) just like in the Youtube video. Then you get a list of movies/dramas (I guess) and then when you select one of them you get yet again another list of movies/dramas. What's the idea with that ? Why do you have to select a movie/drama twice ? Then finally you have to select the episode number ??? So any volunteer to create a small step-by-step guide for this app ?

Btw, I have been told today that the TVB stream of the Lily TV app was constantly stuttering during prime time (when they are showing the daily dramas). Anyone else have noticed that ?

Also has anyone noticed the additional apps on the picture of the discount coupon that came with the TVPad ? Is that a sign of things to come or merely a drawing ?

stsang75

Uhhhh no, because I have no clue how to navigate that thing -huh So I just tested it for like half an hour yesterday.

Ok so I am able to watch one episode via the Movie Valley app and after that, it doesn't work anymore. What I need to do is to turn off my TVPad and turn back on and that will usually fix it. Sometime, I will need to wait until the next day and again, i can watch maybe 1 episode and it will stop working again. Do you think it has something to do with the MicroSD card since I am assuming this is where it is temporary stored when watching VOD?

Ok so I am able to watch one episode via the Movie Valley app and after that, it doesn't work anymore. What I need to do is to turn off my TVPad and turn back on and that will usually fix it. Sometime, I will need to wait until the next day and again, i can watch maybe 1 episode and it will stop working again. Do you think it has something to do with the MicroSD card since I am assuming this is where it is temporary stored when watching VOD?
Maybe it has something to do with your ISP or your firewall settings. Did TVpad get back to you yet? Did they test your IP and Mac address?

Try connecting the TVPad directly to the ISP Modem instead of your router. (I assume that's how your network is setup).

stsang75

Maybe it has something to do with your ISP or your firewall settings. Did TVpad get back to you yet? Did they test your IP and Mac address?

Try connecting the TVPad directly to the ISP Modem instead of your router. (I assume that's how your network is setup).
I just email them my IP and MAC address of the TVpad let see if it will get back with me. As for my setup, I am actually using the Wireless Adapter. I don't think I can test plugging it straight to my cable modem as this will required a 50 foot long cable :) Modem is in the basement and TV is upstair. It is so frustrating that I can only watch 1 episode at a time and have to turn off the device, wait 30 minutes to 1 hour, turn device back on so that I can watch another episode and do it all over again.

I just email them my IP and MAC address of the TVpad let see if it will get back with me. As for my setup, I am actually using the Wireless Adapter. I don't think I can test plugging it straight to my cable modem as this will required a 50 foot long cable :) Modem is in the basement and TV is upstair. It is so frustrating that I can only watch 1 episode at a time and have to turn off the device, wait 30 minutes to 1 hour, turn device back on so that I can watch another episode and do it all over again.
This may sound stupid, but just brainstorming here.......

Don't know how big is your TV, if it's not too big or not mounted on a wall, maybe take the TV and the TVpad down to where your modem is at to test.

Or take your TVpad to your friend's house and see if it does the same.

Hopefully the support center will figure out what's going on.

Also brainstorming here. Do you know if you have a static or dynamic IP address fom your ISP ? I'm just wondering if they keep giving you a new IP address every hour or something stupid like that :)

As for my setup, I am actually using the Wireless Adapter. I don't think I can test plugging it straight to my cable modem as this will required a 50 foot long cable :) Modem is in the basement and TV is upstair.
Try using powerline ethernet. I have the same setup as you. My wireless modem is downstairs, but a lot of computers and TVs are upstairs in the bedrooms. I have a powerline ethernet adapter hooked up downstairs in an electrical outlet next to the modem. This way, my whole house has broadband internet going through the electricty. Every electrical outlet is internet ready. I bought the powerline ethernet adapters about 3 years ago, and all of them still works. Back then it was so expensive, about $100 each for the Netgear ones. Now it is so CHEAP!!!! Here is one that looks good: http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-HomePlu...OZ5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331942281&sr=8-1
Trust me, it is worth it. Using electricity for broadband connection is much better using than wireless. It is at least 10 times faster than wireless. I stopped using wireless for all my computers and entertainment devices. The only thing I use WIFI for is for my smartphones and my tablets.

I have my TVPad hooked up to a powerline ethernet and it is constantly getting 50mbs/s download.

Looks like they just added a new Sports Channel app here: http://tvpadfans.com/thread-4324-1-1.html

If I look at the picture that came with the discount coupon we can expect a few more apps soon :)
View attachment 52388
Thanks for the info Phantoman. I am still waiting for an app that streams more Hong Kong channels, such as ICable or NOW channels. But I think that is wishful thinking :D

km1

I'm going to take the plunge and get one of these TVPad boxes but can someone point me to the legit website. There's a .hk and .us one?

the .us one is a scam... do not buy it from there.. either buy it from the .hk one or the ebay link in the first page..

i receive mines from the ebay seller.. email him he will give you discount if you like his facebook page.

About the tvpad iam very impressed with it so far.
Testing some formats.. it would not play my mkv x264 files.

km1

Further question, a pop up box shows up when u go to www.tvpad.hk. Is it a warning that those other sites are not legit? Or i have to buy it from those sites? Google translate failed me here