1. Due to a certain user cat fishing the site, we've disabled all private messages. Please use the forums, thanks.

Why do people think they can talk to god and he actually answers!

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by CrazyMoFo, Jun 12, 2012.

1. CrazyMoFo

CrazyMoFo Member

So go figure, I had another religious debate with someone over the weekend. It went something like this.

HIM: I have a personal relationship with god and someone like you will never understand!

Evil Me: I have a personal relationship with reality and someone like you choose to ignore and not try to understand.

HIM: Your reality will only misguide you, and by the time you realize, it will be too late.

Evil Me: Too late for what? To join the party in heaven? How do you know heaven exist? Have you been there before? Do you know someone that's been there before and came back to tell you all about it? Or are you going off by the bible?

HIM: When you have a special relationship with god, he talks to you and tells you things. That's why I know god is real. I can sense him all around me and hear him in my heart. Of course YOU will only hear the devil.

This went on for about an hour before the Pacman Fight. It was like talking to a brick wall so both Pacquaio and I lost that night! But we know who really won!! hahaha

So this is why I brought up the subject and like to share my thoughts on it and see what you guys think.

I would've told this guy the same thing I am about to write. But it wouldn't have matter because he was so brain washed.

So here's my take on it.

The brain (not only the human version) builds models of other individuals. It's a function necessary for social animals so we can predict how others might react to us.

We do this all the time. Right now, you can imagine meeting Bruce Lee, despite the fact he's long dead, and having a conversation with him.

The fact we build models is part of why we suffer anguish when someone dies. Just because an individual is dead, the model you have constructed in your brain of that person remains, and it causes us tremendous cognitive dissonance. In our brains, they're very much alive.

Think about it. If religious people truly believe their loved ones goes to heaven and live forever, why are they every bit as sad as we are when our loved ones die? Death would be a wonderful thing for them wouldn't it?

That is why you think you can talk to a god. And in the case of a god, you're consciously trying to reach your higher brain areas by praying or meditating. That's why you think your god is really smart. He thinks the same things you do, only the apparently wiser version.

Just try asking your god the answer to a complex math problem that you couldn't possibly solve without a calculator. You'll find your god happens to be as crappy at math as you are.

So IMHO, people who claims to be able to talk to god....well.......It's all in your head.

2. Loner

Loner Member

I don't see the difference between talking to god, and making up an imaginary figure to speak to. I also wonder why murderous people who say that God told them to murder people is only crazy talk. Why are we not rewarding them for carrying god's words? Why does god take credit for only the good things despite of the very violent and revengeful nature.

3. Dan

Dan Wtf are you doi-....

Shit, how does he do it? I'd love to be able to talk to God.

The first thing I'll ask him is: What the fuck was he smoking when he made Adam and Eve two idiots who were given the ability to reproduce. Fuck, if you're told the Pandora's Box contains the evil of the world, why in the living fuck would you open it. A sensible moron would be smart enough to stay away from it and not even touch it with a ten foot pole.

Second question is, even after he wiped human kind down to Noah and his wife, how the fuck do idiots still manage to populate this Earth? You'd figure people would do shit correctly, given such a huge second chance.

And lastly, I'd love to understand his business model for the existence of an eternal Hell, and a Heaven that accepts forgiven criminals. Absolutely baffling.

God would make for a terrible company CEO.

4. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

i talk to god its coo

5. Loner

Loner Member

6. CrazyMoFo

CrazyMoFo Member

Well if you ask the faithful, they will say those who hear voices that kill are hearing the devil not god! And the bad things that happen are god's will and he has a plan for everything.

What really bothers me are those politicians who hear god and say god told them to run for president and a flock of followers just yuck that shit up. Thank goodness there are still people with common sense that saw through all that religious crap. Can you imagine if Perry, Santorum or Bachmann running this country?

7. Dan

Dan Wtf are you doi-....

Hahahaha wow, I'd much rather talk to Siri, and I hate Siri lmao. But thanks for the lulz.

8. Loner

Loner Member

@CrazyMofo

Interesting. I still wonder why bad things that were carried out by someone are not rewarded and praised as they are carrying out plans. Shouldn't we reward those people who rape and murder since it's part of the great plan?

I am in no surprise that a lot of people flock to the religious(lip service or not) politicians. I'm sure off camera, they are probably not the religious type at all, and rather use the religion argument to fool people. I also believe that religious people are the easiest type of people to fool. It's rather disturbing to know how easily they are swayed. Just think of all the possibilities with the additional brainwash

9. CrazyMoFo

CrazyMoFo Member

Well unless they are the type of people like the Westboro Baptist church, I doubt anyone would praise these type of behaviors. those freaks at Westboro praise god for Tsunami, military personals that get killed, cancer and aid's victims are all god's great plan to cleanse this world. I don't think the standard religious peeps would do such a thing because it just makes them look stupid.

It may be true for Perry and Bachmann not being as christian like when they are off cameras. But I think Santorum is the real deal! And Mitt? He really do wear the magic underwear!!! LOL

10. Loner

Loner Member

It just makes sense that anyone of that religion or any monothesic religions would need to reward those people doing good or bad though.

lol magic underwear. I would like to purchase these.

11. Dan

Dan Wtf are you doi-....

I was watching some Star Trek clips on Youtube (call me a geek, but Star Trek contains more philosophical content than any other broadcasted shows, IMO), and I came across the following:

DS9 episode:

Odo: Has it ever occurred to you that the reason you believe the Founders are gods is because that's what they want you to believe? That they built it into your genetic code?
    Weyoun 6: Of course they did. That's what gods do. After all, why be a god if there's no one to worship you?

This draws a parallel to religions with a deity. Some of us feel like the existence of a "God" is nothing more than fiction. We cannot currently prove, nor disprove the existence of "God". However, what concerns me more is that even if a disprove was found, the problem is not in the non-existence of "God", but rather, the need for human beings to submit to the idea of "God". I think that it is not the existence of God that's the problem, it's the idea. And fighting an idea is a daunting task.

Funny enough, fighting the idea of a "God" is also a storyline that was explored in another Star Trek TNG episode. For Trekkers out there, I'm referring to the Kay'les clone episode.